Praying for Friday and dreading Monday?
It’s time for a change!
Let’s SHAKE IT UP! Time re-program how we think about work, listen to Kristin’s TOP TIPS!
- Lifestyle NOT Work. I was very unhappy and disillusioned in my 9-5 job, then I had a light bulb moment – I realized I was working for a living; I should have been creating a lifestyle. Stop right now and think about the kind of life you want to lead.
- Commit to ‘Work on Purpose.’ Working on purpose means working with intention towards your lifestyle goals. No matter what career path you choose, there will be tough moments. Working on purpose keeps you focused on why you do what you do.
- Money, Money, Money. Get ready for this – money isn’t everything. We have been trained to think about our career as a means to a financial end; we work so we can pay our bills. Consider the cost of this mentality, staying in a job that is not fulfilling to you through the prime years of your life, prime time to spend with your family and your friends. Is that having it all?
Ready to consider change? Two simple steps to get you started TODAY!
- Step ONE Write down where you are now in every area of your life that matters and where you’d like to be: career, health, family, social, spiritual, financial… You’ve just created outlined the life you WANT. Good job!
- Step TWO Know your strengths. Create a thorough list of ALL of your skills. Are you a good listener, work well with the very young or old, organized? Whatever it is – don’t dismiss your strengths. People often overlook their talents thinking, ‘oh, there’s no way I can earn money with that.’ WRONG! If you’re good at it, you can find a way to make it work for you.
Determining where you’d like to go, and the skills you have to get there, is necessary to decide how to proceed. Stay focused, instead of just finding a job, let’s think about building a life.
TIME TO ACT!
- Identify opportunities for short-term, part-time gigs or consultancies that are a good fit with your skill set. Consider not only the traditional places that you might look for work (e.g. newspaper classifieds) but think outside the box. Seek out organizations near and far that primarily hire short-term employees to increase your odds of success; there are a multitude of these organizations in every major city across the country.
- Reach out to existing organizations and offering solutions to gaps in their products and services. Companies love superstars who bring not only the problem but also the solution to their attention – and often they are willing to pay a premium to get the problem resolved.
- Seek out opportunities on-line through freelance sites like elance.com, guru.com and others. Simply Google the phrase “freelance jobs” to generate a list of sites that specialize in helping match independents like you with companies interested in outsourcing specific tasks or entire positions.
“As with anything in life, we are fully in control. Take your life back and decide what you want to do with your time, career and life, then make a plan and take action – get started TODAY.”
No matter your direction, commit to living a life you love.
Get your copy of Kristin’s The 9-5 Cure HERE
-Stephanie Goetsch, April 2011